Martha Sif Karrebæk
Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics
Emil Holms Kanal 2, 2300 København S, Building: 22.3.25
2009 PhD in childrens' language, linguistic socialisation and danish as second language
2001 MA in linguistics, University of Copenhagen
Associate Professor, Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics, University of Copenhagen. Leader of a project on mother tongue education, financed by the Danish Council for Independent Research, and a member of the research group Copenhagen Studies in Everyday Languaging which investigates language and linguistic development among a linguistically and ethnically mixed group of school children.
Temporary Associate Professor, Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics, University of Copenhagen.
Postdoc, The Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen. Funded by the Danish Council for Independent Research. Linguistic Ethnographic project investigating the linguistic and social processes among a class of linguistically and ethnically diverse school beginners.
Part-time Lecturer, Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics, University of Copenhagen. Teaching in the BA Study Programme in Danish
PhD fellow, Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics, University of Copenhagen. Project investigating language acquisition (Danish) and language socialization in peer play for a linguistic minority kindergartner (Somali background).
Academic Project Officer for the Danish Ministry of Education. Writing summaries of research literature on acquisition of Danish.
Temporary Teacher of Danish as second language for adults, Hillerød Internationale Ungdomsskole
Part-time Lecturer; Department of Nordic Philology, University of Copenhagen
Secretary of the research network Ikonicitet og Struktur, Funktionel Grammatik-kredsen (Iconicity and Structure, The Circle of Functional Grammar)
Student Assistant, Denmark’s National lexicon A/S
- 2006-2013 Visits at University of Pennsylvania, King’s College London, Linköping University
- 2000 Research Assistant, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
- 1998 Exchange Student, Oslo Universitet, Norway
- 2019-2022 PI on the project INTERPRETING
- 2012-2016 PI on the project Mother tongue education in the super-diverse metropolis of Copenhagen
- 2009-2012 co-managing of the research group Copenhagen Studies in Everyday Languaging
- 2007 Vice Chairman of University of Copenhagen’s board of research training (KUFUR)
- 2007 Member of the PhD Board of Studies, The Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen
Prizes and grants
- Danish Foundation of Independent Research thematic grant; 2019
- Carlsberg's travel abroad grant; 2017
- Danish Board of Independent Research’s grant Sapere Aude Research Leader; 2012
- Einar Hansen’s Research Foundation’s prize for excellent research in the humanities; 2012
- Danish Board of Independent Research’s prize UngElite Forsker (YounElite Researcher); 2010
- Personal Postdoc grant, Danish Board of Independent Research; 2009-12
Smaller grants from consul George Jorck and wife Emma Jorck’s Foundation, Svend Grundtvig and Axel Olrik’s Scholarship, High Court Judge Giese’s Scholarship, Viggo Brøndal and wife’s Scholarship, E. Lerager Larsen’s Foundation, Wimmer’s Scholarship, UBVA-Scholarship, Einar Hansen’s Research Foundation.
Knowledge of languages
Danish: mother tongue
English: fluent (verbally and in writing)
French: competencies in speaking, reading and understanding
Spanish: skills in writing and speaking
Swedish and Norwegian: understanding without dificulties
Thai, Turkish, Arabic, Farsi, Greenlandic and German: insight